The expansion of the armed forces from 1911 and then the outbreak of the First World War resulted in a large number of drill halls being constructed by the Commonwealth up to 1918. During this period, drill halls were constructed to only two basic designs and varied only in size. Except for the naval drill halls (Port Melbourne, in brick, and Western Port HMAS Cerberus, in timber, all of the drill halls were constructed in corrugated iron.
Land for the Ararat drill hall was acquired on 4 October 1913. The hall was used as a picture theatre for many years c 1931. Sold to the City of Ararat for £2000. It is now used as a community hall.