Pholiota was the Melbourne home of Walter Burley Griffin and his wife Marion from the date of its construction in 1922 to when it was sold in 1925, following the Griffins' involvement in the Sydney subdivision of Castlecrag. Griffin was then Federal Capital Director of Design and Construction as well as the designer of the successful Mount Eagle subdivision; the Glenard Estate being the first land of this subdivision to be sold in 1916. Griffin purchased two lots (Nos 99 and 100) and built Pholiota on the latter. Pholiota was the prototype for Griffin's patented Knitlock concrete masonry construction which was to be used later at Frankston and Castlegrag.
The Classification does not extend to the later additions to the front of the Knitlock structure.